NextAdvisor is not a licensed insurance company, agency or broker and we do not sell, solicit or negotiate insurance. Our content provides summaries of insurance providers and/or products that may not include all terms, benefits or limitations of such provider or product. Please consult a licensed insurance or producer regarding any insurance product. Our site may include links that take you to another website and result in us earning a fee. However, our compensation is never tied to whether you purchase an insurance product. For more information, please see our Advertising Disclosure and How We Make Money.
American Family — or AmFam — has been kicked around the insurance industry in one form or another since 1927. These days, American Family is one of the ten largest insurance firms in the U.S. for auto and home policies. It offers policies in 19 states.
The provider has mixed reviews for customer satisfaction but a below-average number of complaints. AmFam offers many policy variations, as well as plenty of discounts to reduce premiums. We’ll run through everything you need to get started with an American Family policy.
American Family Auto Insurance
American Family’s car insurance policies provide all of the coverages you’d expect. But they also offer a few less-common coverages—like Gap and Emergency Roadside—that can be lifesavers if you’re in a rough situation.
American Family also provides a wide range of discounts to reduce the cost of insurance. If you’re a young driver, insurance rates are typically higher, and AmFam provides many discounts geared toward young drivers to help balance the cost.
Types of Coverage
Here are the typical car insurance coverage options American Family offers. Coverage availability may depend on the state where you buy the policy.
- Property Damage Liability
- Bodily Injury Liability
- Medical Expense
- Personal Injury Protection
- Underinsured Motorist Protection
- Rental Reimbursement
- Uninsured Motorist Protection
- Emergency Road Service
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
Cost of American Family Auto Insurance
Car insurance rates are highly dependent on the person and the vehicle. The better your driving record, the better rate you’re likely to get. Or if your car has enhanced safety features, that might reduce the rate, as well. According to Bankrate’s latest data, the average cost of full coverage car insurance is $1,674 per year, or $139.50 per month. NextAdvisor requested a driving policy for a 31-year-old with no accidents in the last six months. AmFam quoted $859 for a 6-month premium, or $142.65 a month, with $50,000 bodily injury.
American Family Auto Insurance Discounts
AmFam is generous with its discounts. It offers discounts for all kinds of drivers. Here is a list of what you can get, broken out into a few categories.
- Multi-vehicle – Get a discounted rate when you insure multiple cars with AmFam.
- Loyalty – This discount is available for customers who have used American Family “for a while.” The length of time you’ve been an AmFam customer affects the discount rate.
- Early Bird – You can qualify for this discount if you already have an active policy with another company, then receive an AmFam quote at least a week before the policy goes into effect.
- Multi-product – This discount reduces coverage for those who use AmFam for more than one kind of insurance, such as auto and home.
Safe Driving Discounts:
- Auto Safety Equipment – This discounts policies for cars with factory-installed air bags.
- Defensive Driver – In some states, you might qualify for a discount if you are 55 or older and complete an approved defensive driving course.
- Good Driving – If you have a clean driving record for an extended amount of time it could reduce the cost of your insurance policy.
- Low Mileage – Policyholders who drive 7,500 miles per year or less might qualify for this discount.
- KnowYourDrive – This is a usage-based discount. AmFam tracks your driving habits via smartphone app. The safest drivers can qualify for a discount of up to 20 percent.
Young Driver Discounts:
- Good Student – If you maintain good grades at school, it could reduce your rate.
- TeenSafeDriver – This is a usage-based discount for teen drivers. It’s similar to KnowYourDrive.
- Away at School – If you are away at a school that’s 100 miles or more from home, and your car is parked at home, then you could get a discount. This is also available for your child if they are under 25.
- Young Volunteer – If you are under 25 and complete at least 40 hours of volunteer work per year for a nonprofit organization, you could qualify for a discounted rate.
- Generational – If you have a parent with an AmFam policy, then you could also save on your policy.
- Auto Pay – If you enroll in automatic payments, it can reduce your rate.
- Customer Full Pay – If you can pay your policy in full when you buy it, you might get a discount.
- Paperless – This discount is for customers who enroll in online billing.
- Other structures
- Personal property
- Loss of use
- Personal liability
- Equipment Breakdown
- Sump Pump and Water Backup Coverage
- Matching Siding Protection
- Credit Theft Protection & Monitoring
- Bundle & Save – When you buy two or more kinds of insurance from American Family, you could get a reduced rate on all of the policies.
- Age of home – If your home is 15-year-old or newer, you might get a lower rate.
- Renovated home – If you have completely replaced your home’s plumbing, electrical, and heating systems within the last 15 years, you might qualify for a discount.
- Insurance payment – This discount to policyholders who set up auto-pay and paperless billing, and those who pay their policy in full upfront.
- Loyalty discount – If you’ve been an AmFam customer for over a year, then you might be able to get a reduced premium.
- Generational discount – If you’re between 18- and 30-years-old, and your parents have an active policy with American Family, the cost of your home insurance might be reduced.
- Fire and smoke sensors – If your home is outfitted with fire and smoke alarms, it could reduce your monthly premium.
- Home security – This discount is for homes that have a Frontpoint video doorbell camera installed.
- Climate control – This discount is for homes that have smart thermostats that monitor your home’s temperature and help with energy savings.
- Smart home water sensors – If you have internet-connected sensors for water leaks and humidity, you could receive this discount.
- Simplified Term Life Insurance
- Term Life Insurance
- Whole Life Insurance
- Children’s Whole Life Insurance
- Senior Whole Life Insurance
- DreamSecure Flexible Life Insurance
- RV & Camper
- Classic Car
- Produced Home
- Farm & Ranch
- Identity Theft
- Credit Monitoring